Best local shop for suspension work?

Mechanical questions, help, and tutorials.
GixxerSixxer
Bike: 2011 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Best local shop for suspension work?

Postby GixxerSixxer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 am

Where is the best local shop to take my bike to for suspension work? I want to lower the front and back 1". I want it all done right and well, so I didn't know what shops are good for that. I've heard there's a place in Orion, but I'm not familiar with it.

Any tips?
2011 GSX-R 600 - Sold
2009 Ninja 250R - Sold

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:13 pm

My default destination for stuff I don't want to do myself is Mid-West Sportbikes in Galesburg.

I've also heard of the Orion shop (MD Racing), but know nothing about them other than that they exist...and that their website looks like it's straight out of 1996.

I've personally had poor customer service experiences at both Brenny's and Fun Mart, so neither of those is at the top of my list.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

sadiqsadiq
Bike: 07 Kawasaki ZX-10R, 09 Harley Davidson V-Rod Muscle

Re: Best local shop for suspension work?

Postby sadiqsadiq » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:32 am

Vortech4V wrote:Where is the best local shop to take my bike to for suspension work? I want to lower the front and back 1". I want it all done right and well, so I didn't know what shops are good for that. I've heard there's a place in Orion, but I'm not familiar with it.

Any tips?

I took my bike to MD Racing a couple a years ago and I personally have made the choice to never go back. The guy who runs it is a McAsshole and his shop is a mess. I take everything down to Dale at Midwest Sportbikes also and I would highly rec. them.

White347lx

Postby White347lx » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 pm

MDRacing is the only true speed shop for motorcycles that I know of around here. All the fast bikes I've seen at Cordova are tuned at mdracing, and people bring their bikes from all over to have their track bikes set up there. It is a messy place, though.

L8Braker
Bike: 06 BMW K1200LT, 13 Ducati Hyper

Postby L8Braker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Actually, Mid-West Sportbikes was started almost 10 years ago from unsatisfied MDracing customers. Unfortunately, many blown motors and bikes being damaged while in their facility have become the norm. Their local reputation as been damaged beyond repair.

OP: You might consider getting some suspension videos online, and trying to learn to work on your suspension yourself. Also there are several guys on this forum capable of helping you set it up or guiding you in the right direction if you decide to try to do it on your own.

When life throws you a curve, brake hard, and stick your knee out. :twocents:

twistyrider

Postby twistyrider » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:56 pm

I had a 2015 yamaha fz09 dyno tuned and ecu flashed by matt drucker at md racing in moline il. He seemed knowledgeable and bike runs great! His website definitely mentioned he has done suspension work for a number of years. Tried googling info on mid-west sportbikes in galesburg il. Not finding much of anything. To each their own. Good luck!

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:59 pm

I don't believe Mid-West Sportbikes is doing a whole lot (if anything) these days. Haven't talked to him in a while, and his website is all shut down now.

Seems like my last post is worth an update after 6 years....aside from my race SV's forks, which I service myself, all my suspension goes to Trackside Suspension & Engineering in Darien, WI. Been working with them since 2013 and they do an outstanding job.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Postby Sportbiker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:44 pm

shagzomatic wrote:I don't believe Mid-West Sportbikes is doing a whole lot (if anything) these days. Haven't talked to him in a while, and his website is all shut down now.

Seems like my last post is worth an update after 6 years....aside from my race SV's forks, which I service myself, all my suspension goes to Trackside Suspension & Engineering in Darien, WI. Been working with them since 2013 and they do an outstanding job.

+1 on TSE (my experience), and they are a favorite of many racers.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."