Custom ECU flash vs Bazzaz FI

Mechanical questions, help, and tutorials.
AllenTron10R
Bike: 2012 Kawi ZX10R

Custom ECU flash vs Bazzaz FI

Postby AllenTron10R » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:47 am

So i've recently been looking through deals for parts for my bike. as i'm not going all out i still want to do some few small things.

My constant quest to find armour bodies or sharksinz for my ZX10r at anything other than full retail price. leads me to other things

1) most race body kit lowers will not fit over the Cat on my exhaust. easy solution take it out :D
A) the bad to this, is my bike is notorious for not doing well without a tune for doing such a simple thing

The Pros to all this is, i need a tune to take out the servo and remove the emissions nonsense and get my fuel/air mapped properly. this all means i get to go from 142hp to 189Hp on average. (before shagz goes off on a soap box about HP) the power is for playing and thrill and drivability not to play HP king or pretend that it will replace my none expert skill with it.

and to the point. for me personally feeling better at the track, i look to do these things.

Suggestions from you guys/gals are wanted for this. I already found a GP exhaust for pretty cheap so i will just need to pick between a Bazzaz Mapping tool or a custom flashed ECU?

they are actually the same price. ruffly 300.00

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Re: Custom ECU flash vs Bazzaz FI

Postby shagzomatic » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:19 am

AllenTron10R wrote:i get to go from 142hp to 189Hp on average

I don't believe for a second that cat/exhaust and a fuel map alone will net you a 47hp gain. You'll probably see 10-15, maybe 20. You have to either be mixing wheel and crank power figures, or you typoed something.

Personally I would gravitate to the external FI module. With an external unit you have the ability to load and tweak your maps yourself. Even moreso with Bazzaz if you also have their Z-AFM module. With a reflash you have to send your ECU or the bike off to someone (and pay them again) anytime you need a change made. If we take a trip into IT professional mentality, in a disaster recovery situation if your ECU fails, you have to send the new one in and pay to have that flashed on top of your ECU purchase. If your FI unit fails, you can just load your map backup onto the new one yourself when it arrives.

On another note, if it's not already included in your "emissions nonsense" bit...since you're pulling the cat, it would be a good idea to do smog block-offs as well.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

AllenTron10R

Postby AllenTron10R » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Well shags i wont know until i put mine on a dyno and find out. but all i get is reference numbers from what other people are doing. i know my buddy in oklahoma dyno'd his stock bike at 147 which was my start number. and the after tune and slip on numbers across all the internet at 179-189 depending on location (elements) the tuner, and ultimately the parts put on the bike. i know kawi dulls the 10r down a lot and stripes a lot of mid range and top rpm power out of the bike. its a common complaint

here is the first one i found on a local forum i frequent

there is also this quote from a flashing company. dont know the credibility

"ECUnleashed Graph Sample
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R with Akrapovic Slip-On 180.9hp and 76.8hp, that is a huge 20hp gain over stock with a 4lb ft tq increase as well. To make it better, stock power cuts out at 11,500rpms, well no more, that power just keeps rocketing up to 13,400rpms where its 30hp higher than stock"

and yes i already planned on block offs. i'm leaning towards the bazzaz Module, it can have a bluetooth adapter and i can upload maps from my phone lol the nerd in me appreciates that. even though i have no real need for it

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:33 pm

AllenTron10R wrote:"ECUnleashed Graph Sample
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R with Akrapovic Slip-On 180.9hp and 76.8hp, that is a huge 20hp gain over stock with a 4lb ft tq increase as well. To make it better, stock power cuts out at 11,500rpms, well no more, that power just keeps rocketing up to 13,400rpms where its 30hp higher than stock"

The 20hp peak difference they're talking about is believable from those mods. There is just no way that I will believe you will get 47hp without either adding forced induction or tearing the motor apart. Stock RWHP numbers I've found on a quick google are sitting around 160 (which is what ECUnleashed's numbers and that graph you linked are indicating), so your baseline of 147 seems wrong...at least when comparing the post-mod number for bikes that started at 160.

So like I said...you'll probably get about 20hp at best, from wherever your bike is currently at. If you're starting at 147, you're not going to end up with 180+. :)
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

AllenTron10R

Postby AllenTron10R » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:57 pm

i see the point. but 20hp is 20hp on a bike the barely weight 400lbs. and a proper power delivery up top will make a difference in how it rides as well. so its worth the 600ish dollar investment. which is all i was originally getting at.

Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Postby Andyman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:43 pm

C'mon guys. quit :boxing: and either :beer: , or :grouphug: , or :hump:

:wedgie:

(Sorry, felt the urge to post smilies on this post)

fjorn
Bike: '98 CR250R, '08 CRF450

Postby fjorn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:17 pm

FWiW, I have a custom flash on my 07 R1. On top of it, I also have a custom map on my Poser Commander. I did the flash because I wanted the fans to come on at a lower temp, change engine braking, and a coupke of other things. So, there is no reason to not do both.