Rear shock suggestions

Mechanical questions, help, and tutorials.
Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Rear shock suggestions

Postby Sportbiker » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:49 pm

I've been tolling the S1000R sales and have informed the wife I will do no more significant work to the 636. I want to sell it and pick up a BMW. Not sure how fast that will happen. Problem is I have to deal with my shock, and that appears very expensive. Any suggestions on cheaping out for a season or two?
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:31 pm

When you say "deal with my shock", what were you thinking of doing? Rebuild/refresh? Replace?
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Mikeurtno
Bike: 2008 Ninja 250 (track) 2009 Yamaha fz6 (street)

Postby Mikeurtno » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:27 am

The stock 636 shock is fairly decent when set up properly. Unless you get pretty fast the 636 shock doesn't really need to be replaced. But that is just if you where thinking about upgrading it for some reason.

Sportbiker

Re: Rear shock suggestions

Postby Sportbiker » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Yeah, sorry, some detail is warranted. The shock has never been serviced, so the oil and internal wear parts are 9 years old. It strikes me that its well past due for servicing at least, but I very much welcome correction if I'm wrong.

I've got the pricing on servicing the stock shock versus getting an aftermarket one used. All that starts at about $400. Any other options I'm missing?

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:04 am

Yeah, that's way overdue for some service. While it's probably not worth it for you to replace it with how much you're riding and with saving for a new bike, I would definitely get it serviced. I think $400 seems high for a refresh though -- where did you get that from? I had mine done by TSE and that was $160 for the base service, plus parts. I had to replace a couple bands, seals, scraper, and a small army of shims -- landed around $215. Add in shipping both ways and you're looking at probably around $300.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Postby Andyman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:59 am

Traxxion Dynamics did an awesome job with my front fork rebuild/upgrade. I decided to replace the rear shock with a Penske upgrade at that same time. They may be a little more expensive than what Shagz recommended though since they're located down in Georgia.

Caz
Bike: 1987 honda spree (iowa edition)

Postby Caz » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:32 am

Well for a couple more seasons and at 400 for a refresh I would just pick up a gently used shock off a forum from a racer. You should be able to find one that has just been gone through fairly recently for about 600 and it will add a little when you go to sell the bike. Do you need it no, stock will work fine but if your already going 400 into. An aftermarket might be better in the long run.
"Carry the front wheel half a centimeter in the air all the way up the hill at 150mph put it down just over the rise, it's just a timing issue." Colin Edwards, "The Doctor, the tornado and the Kentucky Kid"

Sportbiker

Postby Sportbiker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:49 am

When I hadn't been considering changing bikes getting the $500-600 used aftermarket was a no-brainer, so I was set with the viewpoint you have Caz. Shagz, TSE quoted me $370 just for stock service and parts and no fancy pants stuff; bare minimum. Throw in shipping and its over 400. They had tax too which I am ignoring.

I was hoping I'd simply missed an option but I can tell I haven't. Bummer. If I knew I was going to change bikes in 2016 I would definitely just get the stock one refreshed because when I sell the bike anyone interested in buying it is not going to care one bit about an aftermarket shock. But if I keep her through 2016 the aftermarket will probably be worth the extra expense since I'll have two more track seasons on it.

Of course, all that assumes I can even find a used aftermarket one for 500 that has the spring I need on it. They often go for 550 on rare occasion, and 600-650 typically.

Andy, thanks for the other recommendation. I know if I have the stock rebuilt I'm going to consider a number of suspension guys and get quotes to compare. That would be one in the mix.

fjorn
Bike: '98 CR250R, '08 CRF450

Postby fjorn » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:29 am

I would look into getting your rear shock serviced. If you buy a used unit, whether it is aftermarket or OEM, you have no idea what you're getting into. Especially when it comes to spring rate and valving. You could be 120 pounds, and it's sprung for a 250 pound rider. I've also seen some things where it's listed as "recently serviced" and the shock is completely worn out but pressure washed and wiped down by the seller.

All this reminds me I need to get the suspension pulled from my bike and have it done by Traxxion. I have AK-20 cartridges up front and a Penske 8980 triple-clicker in the rear. I've had two repair shops rebuild the front, and they've both f'ed it up. One was leaking on my first trackday. The other doesn't feel right at all and I'm bottoming out. So, back to Traxxion....

Sportbiker

Postby Sportbiker » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:02 am

I sent it off to Ken at Italia Superbike. He did my first setups with STT at Autobahn and has worked my shock. Estimated pricing is lower so we'll see how it all pans out.

Thanks for the thoughts, fjorn. I had strongly been considering a used shock and knew about the spring rate thing. In my past I've bought used struts for a car and that didn't go so well. But with a bike I figured the weight is massively different and as long as I stayed away from stunters I'd be in reasonably good shape. I knew to account for a refresh if needed, but your suggestion of the pressure wash isn't one I knew occurred. thx