Upgrading the Suspension

Mechanical questions, help, and tutorials.
Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Upgrading the Suspension

Postby Andyman » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:33 pm

My Fiances is living up to her promise of letting me spend some money on my bikes after finishing the basement. Instead of pumping money into the track bike, it's going to to the FJR. I'm sending my Front Forks to Traxxion Dynamics for them to rebuild them with upgraded valving, progressive springs, and seals, etc. They're also going to get the adjusted to fit my weight. I'm also ordering a Penske adjustable shock through them as well. I'll let you know how it goes once I have it all back together.

Gre8one7
Bike: 03 R1

Re: Upgrading the Suspension

Postby Gre8one7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Nice! I have racetech internals sitting around waiting to be installed
#27 Yamaha R6

Andyman

Postby Andyman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Gre8one7 wrote:Nice! I have racetech internals sitting around waiting to be installed

Yeah I looked into racetech as well but it sounded like Traxxion Dynamics had more testing and experience with FJR's. Hyperpro was another option. My brother has this on his 2005 FJR. But why would I want to be like my brother.... :moon:

Andyman

Postby Andyman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Forks were sent out today. Bike looks kinda funny without any front end on it. Should have them back plus the new shock in a couple weeks. The waiting game is on...... :whistle:

Andyman

Postby Andyman » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 am

Whoot Whoot!!!! :banana-rock: Forks are done and on their way here!!! Should have them on by next week. :rockon: :dance:

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Great...that just means this craptastic weather is going to continue. :thumbdown: At least we can blame you for it now, though. :whistle:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Andyman

Re:

Postby Andyman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 am

shagzomatic wrote:Great...that just means this craptastic weather is going to continue. :thumbdown: At least we can blame you for it now, though. :whistle:

Yeah...... The Feejer does some Godly things such as controlling the weather. When it's not being ridden..... It's feelings are shown in weather patterns..... :bowdown: Had it not been for me putting a nice blanket over her..... we would have seen two foot of snow..... Fear the Feejer!!!!

Andyman

Postby Andyman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Installed the forks and shock a couple days ago. Took it for a short ride that night but that was it. Then had to let it sit due to traveling for work. Taking out for a ride tonight then have to take it to North Central Iowa on Sunday.

Gre8one7
Bike: 03 R1

Postby Gre8one7 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:59 pm

sooooo, review?
#27 Yamaha R6

Andyman

Postby Andyman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Gre8one7 wrote:sooooo, review?

Modifications:
Traxxion Dynamics front fork rebuild including progressive springs, new valves, seals, and bushings. basically all of the internal parts were replaced with new parts. I also purchased a Penske rear shock with progressive spring. Traxxion Dynamics also made all suspension adjustments based on my weight, and how I ride. They also sent a book explaining what they did and how to fine tune the suspension based on the upgrades you purchased.

I had the bike out for about 150 miles on Saturday and another 360 miles on Sunday. Both days running with a passenger.

Around town handling: Much more solid during slow maneuvering around town with and without a passenger. There isn't anymore soft squishy feeling in the suspension. There's little to no front end dive during braking and the rear doesn't compress down nearly as much during acceleration. Adding a passenger doesn't really change the handling much at all.

Straight Line Highway Speeds: Sunday we rode up to my brothers place in Osage Iowa (about 360 miles round trip). We were on 4 lane highway about 98% of this trip. My buttometer showed a huge difference in comfort as well as my passenger. The old suspension used to allow the entire bike to float up and down when hitting large dips or potholes in the road. Now I might feel the bump slightly but bike stays at a single level. Straight line exceleration seems to have improved as well. It's much more balanced back to front in exceleration.

Cornering: I haven't had a real good chance to run the bike through any corners with the exception of a couple clover leaf on ramps. By the way, I was still riding two up. The bike stayed very rigid through the corners and I was able to stay with my line much better even while hitting a few bumps here and there. The bike didn't feel like it compressed down much either, even with riding two-up. Before I'd drag pegs occassionally riding two up going around a corner.

Overall: Well worth the $$$ spent.