Track bike is frustrating the hell out of me.....HELP

Mechanical questions, help, and tutorials.
L8Braker
Bike: 06 BMW K1200LT, 13 Ducati Hyper

Postby L8Braker » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:50 pm

I would not try to jump the bike off a car. You're just asking for bigger problems than you already have.

If the battery itself is in question, take the battery to someone who can do a load test on it. Most places do this test for free.

When life throws you a curve, brake hard, and stick your knee out. :twocents:

GSXtacy

Postby GSXtacy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Would a bad battery that that shows fully charged cause these problems? Would I be safe to jump it off a bike battery?

L8Braker

Postby L8Braker » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:12 pm

A battery can show fully charged and still be bad. Only way to know if it's junk is to perform a load test on it.

You never want to jump a motorcycle if alternatives are possible. A battery charger on 2 or 4 amp setting will give the best result.

GSXtacy

Postby GSXtacy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:30 pm

K, ill get it tested. I guess I just dont understand if the battery is junk, how would I have spark at the plug? Its turning over fine, I can hear the pump prime and smell fuel. The bike just turns over, doesnt even act like it wants to run and no codes are thrown. I'm new to this stuff so dont flame me to bad! lol

L8Braker

Postby L8Braker » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Hard to say what is going on without being hands-on. You just have to do a process of elimination. Battery could be weak, Weak coils, Plugs themselves to fouled to spark "properly".

Pull one of the plugs and see what it looks like. If they are soaked with fuel, then the bike won't start. You might want to replace with some NGK Iridium plugs. They are normally around $9-$10 each but well worth it.

You could also have a combination of things. :dunno:

GSXtacy

Postby GSXtacy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Battery test fine. I'm at a loss here. Brand new NGK plugs before the track day.

Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Re: Track bike is frustrating the hell out of me.....HELP

Postby Andyman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:48 am

Have you checked for spark? I know it can be tough to do on certain bikes but it can be done as long as you have a way to ground the plug. I saw you said you got new plugs just before the track day but it could be coils or some other wiring issue within the ignition system like L8braker said. Good Luck.....

GSXtacy

Re: Track bike is frustrating the hell out of me.....HELP

Postby GSXtacy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Andyman wrote:Have you checked for spark? I know it can be tough to do on certain bikes but it can be done as long as you have a way to ground the plug. I saw you said you got new plugs just before the track day but it could be coils or some other wiring issue within the ignition system like L8braker said. Good Luck.....

Yep, have spark. I keep thinking stuff like cam position sensor, crank sensor, timing and stuff like that. But none of that explains why the battery started the bike fine all day then as soon as it died on track I tried to refire it and got the "click" sound of a dead battery. The battery was dead as hell when I got back to the pits. Now it will hold a charge and tested fine at autozone. The engine will turn over strong but wont even act like its going to start. Hopefully its something obvious and I'm just looking to deep into it getting frustrated. I'm hoping to go to heartland park next weekend thats why its so frustrating.

lucky

Postby lucky » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:22 pm

How about an lean angle sensor?
I had problems with mine on my last Buell and it made the bike cutout at weird times.
2008 Buell Firebolt XB12R
Black, Red, & Loud