FJ-09

If it's on two wheels, it goes here.
shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

FJ-09

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:11 pm

So I've been saying for quite a while that if Yamaha would produce an FZ-09 with a half fairing I'd be all over it.

Seems someone was listening. I'm really liking the way this is looking -- probably going to end up being the replacement to my FZ6 at some point.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2 ... pocalypse/
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

fjorn
Bike: '98 CR250R, '08 CRF450

Postby fjorn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Nothing more than a slightly better looking SuperTenere:

FJ-09:

Last edited by fjorn on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:09 am

Slight oversimplification, but yes it does have a lot of ADV styling cues. The bark busters will probably be one of the first things to come off if I get one.

As long as the tank is bigger than the FZ-09 and they don't completely nerf the performance, that'll probably seal the deal for me.

CCS/ASRA #380

Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Postby Andyman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 am

Yeah, It looks like an ADV bike That'll compete in the sport touring market. I kinda like it.

fjorn

Postby fjorn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:32 am

Meh, I'm not a fan of either one.

TLSR381
Bike: 2006 SV650 track (purple)

Postby TLSR381 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:23 pm

It's been kind of nice that they haven't made exactly what Shagz wants. Makes it easier for him to wait to upgrade the FZ.
What the world needs now, is more purple and lime green.

fjorn

Postby fjorn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:30 pm

Now, if Yamaha would get off their arses and bring the XT660 back to the US, I'd go for one of these:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/ ... t660x.aspx

But, no. Yamaha fails to understand that there is a huge market here for street legal SuMo's. How long did it take for them to make the Super Tenere in response to BMW and Suzuki's dual sports?

Honestly, Yamaha is pissing me off to no end. Their designs abso-friggin-lutely sucks of late, they really haven't done anything truly revolutionary in a while, and to top it all off they fail to really understand the US market. Why is it that other parts of the world (FFS even Canada in some cases) gets other bikes, when we can't?

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm not convinced the US SM market is as big as you seem to think, to be honest. The only Japanese manufacturer with a model currently in that class is Suzuki, so far as I'm aware. Sure you've got Husqvarna and KTM in the fray, but those are minor players in the US street market. You'd think there would be more manufacturers showing up with something if demand was that great. At least Honda would be trying to bring something against Suzuki and the DRZ SM if they thought it was worth the effort. :dunno:

CCS/ASRA #380

fjorn

Postby fjorn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:49 am

The downside with the DRZ is that it's a slow, heavy pig. Still fun to ride. But, what I am seeing most people do is convert a WR/YZ/CRF into a street legal bike. Suzuki does make the DRZ650, or rather in 2014 they did, haven't seen a 2015 model per their site.

Basically, I'm disappointed in Yamaha. They have nearly nothing currently on the market which appeals to me. There are six different naked bikes on their website, and underpoiwered versions of other bikes people are asking they bring to the US. They even have two versions of the same type of bike in dual sport (XT250 and WR250R).

Honestly, it's to the point where I'm not really considering Yamaha as a contender for future bike purchases. Next street bike will most likely be the GS-Adventure and if I decide to update to a new motocross bike, I'm looking at Kawasaki. the only Yamaha that still holds an interest for me is the FJR-1300A. But, I'm considering the GS-A as I'm planning on doing cross country dual sport riding and the Super Tenere and Vstrom are just ugly as sin for me.

Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Postby Andyman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:10 am

Fjorn, It's funny you mention the FJR-1300A as the only Yamaha that currently interests you. This is the one bike Yamaha hasn't really changed much over the years. They've added a few more standard options and changed up the looks. Other than that, it's pretty much the same bike. With that said, I love mine and it's a solid, fun, comfortable bike to ride whether it be in the corners or long distance rides.

Back to the FZ-09. It's a great looking bike for the one who wants a stripped down sport touring bike. I'm thinking there will be quite a few accessory options to make this bike whatever you'd like it to be. Shagz, I'd say buy it, get some saddlebags and a top case for it then you can join me on one of my bucket list trips. How about a coast to coast trip then later on ride up to Alaska and back? :rockon: :thumbup: