Gear, Parts, Maintenance

If it's on two wheels, it goes here.
offline
Boohnda
Posts: 41
Joined: Apr 2017
Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-636R
Location: Moline, IL

Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby Boohnda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 am

I checked the sponsored links that were down below and one does not work anymore.. Is there a recommended spot for gear, parts, maintenance besides Brennys and DIY?

I have been looking at Revzilla and I like that there is no restocking fee but some stuff I want to try on first until I am confident in what sizes I need. ie, I want riding shoes, dont have a pair and I need a new jacket as my current is 10 years old and a bit small.
Yoshi exhaust, color matched powder coated pegs, frame sliders, HIDs

offline
User avatar
shagzomatic
Posts: 2260
Joined: Feb 2010
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1
Location: Davenport, IA
Contact:

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 am

Unless it's something I can get from one of my race sponsors... online-wise: OEM parts I've been mostly getting from PartZilla (not affiliated with RevZilla). Gear & accessories, usually I go to RevZilla first, and then to motorcyclegear.com as a second stop for gear.

Trying a bunch of stuff on in a store, you're probably looking at a road trip to Chicago or Madison. Cycle Gear has locations in Madson & Schaumburg. The Dainese D-Store in Schaumburg is fantastic if you're looking for Dainese gear.

Mechanically.... personally, I've had poor experiences at Fun Mart & Brenny's, so I generally stay away unless unavoidable. Hawkeye Honda seems good, but I haven't dealt with them much. I do everything I can myself, and if/when I get into something that exceeds my ability, I'll probably take it over to a shop in the Rockford area.



What size jacket would you be looking for, BTW? I have a couple I'd be looking to get rid of, if you're on the bigger end of the spectrum.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

offline
Boohnda
Posts: 41
Joined: Apr 2017
Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-636R
Location: Moline, IL

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby Boohnda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:56 pm

shagzomatic wrote:Unless it's something I can get from one of my race sponsors... online-wise: OEM parts I've been mostly getting from PartZilla (not affiliated with RevZilla). Gear & accessories, usually I go to RevZilla first, and then to motorcyclegear.com as a second stop for gear.

Trying a bunch of stuff on in a store, you're probably looking at a road trip to Chicago or Madison. Cycle Gear has locations in Madson & Schaumburg. The Dainese D-Store in Schaumburg is fantastic if you're looking for Dainese gear.

Mechanically.... personally, I've had poor experiences at Fun Mart & Brenny's, so I generally stay away unless unavoidable. Hawkeye Honda seems good, but I haven't dealt with them much. I do everything I can myself, and if/when I get into something that exceeds my ability, I'll probably take it over to a shop in the Rockford area.



What size jacket would you be looking for, BTW? I have a couple I'd be looking to get rid of, if you're on the bigger end of the spectrum.


I used to be on the small/medium and now at the Large area according to cloth tape measurements last night. I have no qualms with secondhand gear especially as I am looking for a jacket, gloves, boots. lol.

Good to know as far as the shops.. I would love to say I want to do everything on my own but ADHD for me makes that really difficult. Like I once had a friend come over to sit next to me as I replaced the bulbs in my car headlights. I just needed someone there to focus me. I return to third shift next month and 4x10s so I am hoping I can use some off nights as a chance to learn things about the bike: oil change, chain maintenance, things like that.
Yoshi exhaust, color matched powder coated pegs, frame sliders, HIDs

offline
Boohnda
Posts: 41
Joined: Apr 2017
Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-636R
Location: Moline, IL

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby Boohnda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Definitely interested if the jackets fit/right price.. My current Mesh one is... well mesh number 1 and its chilly in the AM and two definitely feels like a midriff jacket where the bottom of the jacket doesnt even go to my belt of my jeans lol. So silly wearing it but promised the wifey I would wear my gear lol (honestly doesnt bother me to wear gear, just wish it fit better)
Yoshi exhaust, color matched powder coated pegs, frame sliders, HIDs

offline
User avatar
shagzomatic
Posts: 2260
Joined: Feb 2010
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1
Location: Davenport, IA
Contact:

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

You'd be swimming in what I have, unfortunately. A textile jacket size XXL and a perforated leather jacket size 54 US. Both were from when I weighed 300+ lbs.

So....start packing down those cheeseburgers or something :lol:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

offline
Boohnda
Posts: 41
Joined: Apr 2017
Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-636R
Location: Moline, IL

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby Boohnda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 pm

shagzomatic wrote:You'd be swimming in what I have, unfortunately. A textile jacket size XXL and a perforated leather jacket size 54 US. Both were from when I weighed 300+ lbs.

So....start packing down those cheeseburgers or something :lol:



lol worth a shot. Back to revzilla and craigslist lol
Yoshi exhaust, color matched powder coated pegs, frame sliders, HIDs

offline
User avatar
Apex_It
Posts: 121
Joined: Aug 2015
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
Location: Muscatine, IA

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby Apex_It » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Revzilla is a great option. I purchased all of my gear through them after taking careful measurements using their online charts. Measuring didn't work every time, so that's where their return policy turned out very nice. I've sent back riding pants, a helmet, and 2 pairs of gloves. No questions asked. I'll continue buying gear from them, fast and convenient. Their customer service is top notch as well, always prompt and helpful in emails.

offline
User avatar
TLSR381
Posts: 470
Joined: Mar 2010
Bike: 2006 SV650 track (purple)
Location: Davenport, IA
Contact:

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby TLSR381 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:42 pm

I've also done Revzilla exchanges, and they are fantastic. Same with Motorcyclegear.com.
I've heard good things about ridersdiscount.com, but don't have experience with them myself.
If you know what you want, you can also check out www.motorcyclecloseouts.com. I don't recommend just browsing, though. Descriptions and sizing are difficult to tell. Also note that with closeouts, it might be previous models, so doesn't have the same features as current.

Whatever you do, AVOID www.sportbiketrackgear.com. Their customer service is nothing but crap, and shipping can be sketchy.
What the world needs now, is more purple and lime green.

offline
User avatar
Apex_It
Posts: 121
Joined: Aug 2015
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R
Location: Muscatine, IA

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby Apex_It » Mon May 15, 2017 7:25 pm

TLSR381 wrote:Whatever you do, AVOID http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com. Their customer service is nothing but crap, and shipping can be sketchy.



Good to know. I've looked at their site many times and considered purchases. Like Revzilla, they have an excellent YouTube channel that answers a lot of product questions.

offline
User avatar
Sportbiker
Posts: 511
Joined: Jun 2012
Bike: '05 636, Titanium
Location: Bett

Re: Gear, Parts, Maintenance

Postby Sportbiker » Wed May 17, 2017 8:28 pm

Boohnda wrote:
shagzomatic wrote:You'd be swimming in what I have, unfortunately. A textile jacket size XXL and a perforated leather jacket size 54 US. Both were from when I weighed 300+ lbs.

So....start packing down those cheeseburgers or something :lol:



lol worth a shot. Back to revzilla and craigslist lol

I've been a very long term customer of motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com, formerly...) and use them first. They are exceptional at giving fit advice by phone, email, and IM with cust service. Revzilla is another top favorite of mine but I use them almost exclusively for parts; esp like the "scratch and dent" which barely are usually.

SportbikeTrackGear does have a bad name unless you live in Michigan where they're located, in which case those folks tend to love that source. Their main problem is advertising something as "in stock" and then having to order it from the manu or distributor and it taking forever. For us track guys that can be a serious problem. And they have historically been unapologetic about it. Guess that chaffes my ass the most, though I have NOT had a bad experience with them myself.

The point of my post here, though, is that I happen to have a 10% discount code for motorcyclegear.com that expires on the 20th. I know I won't use it since I'm after Held gloves and those are excluded. Anyway, I'll send that code to you via PM, hope you can use it.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."