Sena Headset

If it's on two wheels, it goes here.
Apex_It
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R

Sena Headset

Postby Apex_It » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:34 am

Looking for opinions on the Sena Headsets, and which model you guys might recommend...or if there is a better alternative to a Sena unit. Put this off for a long time, but now that I'm riding more again and have a better (MUCH quieter) helmet on the way...it's on the table once more.

What I'm looking to get out of it:
Decent Range
Bluetooth
Group Intercom
Voice Command (phone, music, navigation)
Music Support (playback control, volume, etc)
Video (optional - only if it's actually decent)

The two Sena units I'm currently looking into are the 20S and 10C.

20S
http://www.sena.com/product/20s/

10C
http://www.sena.com/product/10c/

Your thoughts? :beer:

hawk

Re: Sena Headset

Postby hawk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:56 pm

I plan to get one but I'm looking at the SMH5 or 10 I believe. I used my buddies for a MotoGP trip and we loved them. Range was awesome and clarity was good. They can be had for around $100-130/ea. Are there enough benefits to justify jumping to those models? Those seemed around the $280-400 mark.

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:36 pm

ShagzWife & I have the older SMH-10 units, and I wrote a review back when we got them (you can read that here). I'll add a few comments on top of what's already there.

I've gotten over the phone-phobia, but I'm still cautious about where and when I choose to use that. The speakers' audio quality is better for music when they're cranked up, but they're still tiny speakers so they're never going to be reference-quality. :) I ride with earplugs nearly all the time now, but I bought a set of Etymotic ER20 earplugs, which don't muffle sound (these). Your standard orange industrial plugs just squash sound with no respect to fidelity, so they're not good for listening to music -- these do very well in that respect.

Intercom range is at least as advertised on ours (they claim about 1/2 mile, it's probably a little longer), but it depends on obstructions. If you have line of sight it can be much longer, lots of obstructions and it's shorter. The only real downside is that you do need to pair up with other riders before being able to use them, and at least in the older version we have group-chat is a little clunky to set up. It definitely works, however, and it's pretty great to have. If you're with another rider and go beyond intercom range, you can always call the other person on the phone as well.

Voice control works fine, I just activate voice control on my phone and the phone deals with everything. Remote control of music playback & volume works great. Mine doesn't have video, but I have a GoPro if I want that and I'm not into moto-vlogging.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R

Postby Apex_It » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Don't really need the video, could just keep using my GoPro.

As far as the 20S and SMH-10, that's a good question about the value. I was trying to get away from the fixed boom mic (looks like it can't be removed) on the SMH-10. The 20S has a few mic options included.

I use ear buds right now that are actually pretty fantastic, with unusually good sound quality and bass response. Although, I'm sure it's not doing my hearing any favors blasting that over the wind noise. I was hoping the speakers would be "decent enough" on the SENA. It's being advertised as HD quality audio on the 20S and not the SMH-10, so I would assume there has been some improvement in audio quality unless they are just promoting the new unit through marketing jargon.

The SMH-10 is $140 and the 20S is $218 currently through SENA on Amazon. Much lower than at RevZilla or other places. Which is a bit odd...

Will have to look into this a bit further before deciding. Better audio and the mic options would be worth the extra bit of dough, but not the mic alone.

Thanks for the review and the tip on the ear plugs, those are pretty slick. Probably will get those or something very similar.

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:01 pm

IIRC the old 10 does have a different mic option where it's something you stick to the back of your chin bar. Or at least it did at one point. I have the boom, however, which I personally like because I can reposition it easily if wind is hitting it and causing noise on the other end of the intercom or something. :dunno:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

hawk

Postby hawk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:52 pm

I second the boom not interfering with my ride. I also liked being able to move it a little and it never bothered me like I thought it would.

If you go SMH-10 I think there's a discount on buying a pair. I'm interested in halfsies.

hawk

Postby hawk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Also the audio was more than sufficient for me. You won't get the bass though.

Haysayzilla1

Postby Haysayzilla1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:44 am

I use the Sena 20's . Fabulous .