SB's 2015 Winter update and ?s

If it's on two wheels, it goes here.
Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

SB's 2015 Winter update and ?s

Postby Sportbiker » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:28 pm

First, I'm planning pickup of a '13 BMW S1000RR to replace my '05 Kawi 636. Hope it goes through. Then will sell my 636 for cheap to get it gone.

Second, was chatting with Tron about the parts I need to add and he mentioned there are a number of folks on here recommending against frame sliders. Thought I would toss that up here and ask why that philosophy? Same recommendation for street and track? What about the swingarm spools?
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Re: SB's 2015 Winter update and ?s

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:33 pm

The idea is that sliders can catch on curbing, pavement-to-grass transitions, etc in a lowside and start the bike flipping when it was previously just peacefully scooting along on its side. The working theory is that this was the cause of, or at minimum greatly aided, the beating that Caz's 750 took a couple years back -- it was sliding along until it crossed the curbing on the outside of Blackhawk turn 1, then it started a failed gymnastics routine. I've seen and/or heard of many similar instances. Clip-on bars and footpegs have been blamed for similar, though they're slightly more integral to the bike's operation so you tend to not want to remove them. Anecdotally supporting this...when I lowsided in June, I had no frame sliders mounted and the bike just slid nicely in the grass. YMMV.

Swingarm spools tend to have a much thinner mounting screw and most of the time seem to bend or break....or on some bikes the mount just snaps off, like your 636 or ShagzWife's new GSXR.

Street-wise, I'll keep mine mounted, if for no other reason than I've dropped more than one of my bikes in parking lots and the sliders have saved some very spendy street plastics.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

TLSR381
Bike: 2006 SV650 track (purple)

Postby TLSR381 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:37 pm

For street - always sliders. Because zero mph tip-overs are kind of my thing.
What the world needs now, is more purple and lime green.

raycecar50

Postby raycecar50 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:36 am

:dunno: I have heard of guys just running the slider base/mounts with no sliders at the track. I believe the theory is that they won't catch on anything but If it's a hard enough impact or long enough slide, it'll hit the mounts before th frame or engine parts!