forum updated

Forum news & a place to post your suggestions or get help with using the forum.
shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

forum updated

Postby shagzomatic » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:27 pm

As you've probably noticed, things look a bit different around here. :mrgreen: I just finished updating us to a new version of our forum software, and along with that comes some visual updates I've been working on for the past couple weeks as well.

Some cool new stuff:
The new theme is much more mobile-friendly than our previous, for those of you who use mobile devices often.
The interface is a lot less click- and popup-happy, especially for things like uploading attachments.
External links now open in new windows (thanks to fjorn and naldge for the suggestion-box submissions :) )

The new software gives me a lot more freedom to add new features more easily without having to modify the core forum code itself, and I have a few things in the pipeline already.

If you have any problems, can't find anything with the new layout, have any more suggestions, etc, please let me know -- post something up in this forum or drop me a PM. :thumbup:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Mikeurtno
Bike: 2008 Ninja 250 (track) 2009 Yamaha fz6 (street)

Re: forum updated

Postby Mikeurtno » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Looks good!

Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Postby Sportbiker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:41 pm

Any chance to bring back the inclusion of new post text when I get an email of the update? I lack the time to hit here often.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Unfortunately, right now there is not, short of modifying core forum code...which I'm trying to avoid. That was a letdown for me as well. It's high on my list to find a way to make that happen, however.

CCS/ASRA #380

Caz
Bike: 1987 honda spree (iowa edition)

Postby Caz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:31 am

Can new posts be auto linked to Facebook kinda like wera (idk if thats an auto thing or what) that would be awesome. I used to scroll through the dates on the side for new posts but now have to go into each topic.
"Carry the front wheel half a centimeter in the air all the way up the hill at 150mph put it down just over the rise, it's just a timing issue." Colin Edwards, "The Doctor, the tornado and the Kentucky Kid"

Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Postby Andyman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:43 am

Caz wrote:Can new posts be auto linked to Facebook kinda like wera (idk if thats an auto thing or what) that would be awesome. I used to scroll through the dates on the side for new posts but now have to go into each topic.

:+1:

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:24 am

I'm assumimg you're talking about mobile view -- dates are all still where they were in full view. Using one of the quick searches would be much better for this, though -- no scanning through the main list, and no Facebook algorithms deciding which of our posts to not stick in your newsfeed.

I did a little tutorial on this a while back, but the quick searches are in the dropdown menu at the top left now, in both mobile and full view. I'll get the tutorial updated when I have a few minutes. Here are some quick mobile screenshots, however:

2015-01-07 08.31.45.png

Screenshot_2015-01-07-08-34-44.png

Screenshot_2015-01-07-08-33-45.png

RSS/ATOM feeds are also enabled if you use some kind of feed reader like Feedly.

...or if you prefer to keep scrolling around in hard mode, forums and threads with new posts have a red icon on the left instead of blue, like you can see above. Threads also have the little orange page icon next to them (also above) that allows you to jump directly to your first unread post in that thread.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at. In which case, let me know.

CCS/ASRA #380

TLSR381
Bike: 2006 SV650 track (purple)

Postby TLSR381 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:27 pm

When I'm on a mobile device, and go to "active topics", I want to see the date/name of last post, not the date/name of the person who started the thread.
What the world needs now, is more purple and lime green.

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:05 pm

I'll look into feasibility on this with the current setup.

CCS/ASRA #380

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:47 am

Finally getting back to this. I made some updates to the mobile quicksearch (new posts, active topics, etc) results last week, and just worked out the last little bugs last night. So now the quicksearch results on mobile should give you the same info the regular searches do -- last post info and number of replies.

mobile3.jpg

Keep the suggestions coming, if you have any more. Work on the image attachment auto-resizer is underway, so look for that hopefully in the next few weeks.

CCS/ASRA #380