Forum members map

Forum news & a place to post your suggestions or get help with using the forum.
ScreaminKaw
Bike: '01 Kaw ZRX1200R, '98 Moto Guzzi V11-EV, '94 Honda CB250 NH

Forum members map

Postby ScreaminKaw » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Especially since this is to try and bring local and semi-local riders closer together, I think it'd be a good idea if QCSB adapted the member map that some forums utilize.

Here's an example of the member map used over on WildGuzzi.com:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

EDIT: Well I guess you gotta be signed in with WildGuzzi to see the map which is pretty lame. What it is, is basically a "Google Maps" picture of the globe/or just the US (which is all it'd be focused on with us), and it has all the locations of the participating members pinpointed with colored pins (like when you're mapping out routes with sections using Google Maps), and there's also a list off to the right of the members' forum names. When you either click a highlighted pin (which brings up the users name/location) or click on the member's name on the list, it takes you to their zoomed-in location on the map along with their name/location on the pin.

Admin (or anyone): click this link: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/i ... p?mod=1010 That explains everything.

I think it'd be a pretty neat feature for everyone to see just exactly where the other local members are located. Plus it might encourage some to make contact with others, or to venture out on their bikes to explore areas they might not have considered before, etc.

Hmm? Yeah? :poke:

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 am

Yeah it'd be a cool toy for the site, but at the same time if people aren't careful and put exact locations on the map, it could serve as an easy source to find all our bikes and steal them. :mrgreen:

I might see if there's a plugin for our forum software and maybe make sure it's vague enough to only put city-level locations on the map or something though.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

ScreaminKaw

Postby ScreaminKaw » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 am

That could work. Something that doesn't get too specific, but just pinpoints the city on the map so people don't have to Google Map someone's town or city if they aren't familiar with it.

L8Braker
Bike: 06 BMW K1200LT, 13 Ducati Hyper

Re:

Postby L8Braker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:39 am

shagzomatic wrote:Yeah it'd be a cool toy for the site, but at the same time if people aren't careful and put exact locations on the map, it could serve as an easy source to find all our bikes and steal them. :mrgreen:

This was my first thought as well. Maybe keep it at the city level or advise everyone to put in an address for a gas station, store or something in the local area, but not your home address. No point in becoming an easy target for criminals :thumbup:

When life throws you a curve, brake hard, and stick your knee out. :twocents:

ScreaminKaw

Postby ScreaminKaw » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:42 am

^ I agree. On the Guzzi site it doesn't seem like such a bad idea since everyone is so spread out, but when you consider it for a forum with such a heavy member base in a single area (the Quad Cities), then it becomes pretty clear that it probably isn't too great an idea.