Track Intro

Track day events and discussion.
TLSR381
Bike: 2006 SV650 track (purple)

Re: Track Intro

Postby TLSR381 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm really hard to fit, so I like being able to try things on. I've had good luck at Wal-Mart, Dick's, and Dunham's.
What the world needs now, is more purple and lime green.

Apex_It
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R

Postby Apex_It » Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 pm

I did go to Dick's over the weekend and tried on the UnderArmor compression shirts and pants. Picked up a set and am good to go. Thanks guys!

Needed a fuel can this weekend for the car event I'm attending this Saturday, so I'm good on fuel too. Might pick up a 2nd 5gal container...not sure how much fuel the bikes go through on average. I assume the first day I'll be putting around and being very nice on fuel consumption...relatively speaking. Otherwise, just need to line up a trailer to rent and all set.

Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Postby Sportbiker » Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Apex_It wrote:I did go to Dick's over the weekend and tried on the UnderArmor compression shirts and pants. Picked up a set and am good to go. Thanks guys!

Needed a fuel can this weekend for the car event I'm attending this Saturday, so I'm good on fuel too. Might pick up a 2nd 5gal container...not sure how much fuel the bikes go through on average. I assume the first day I'll be putting around and being very nice on fuel consumption...relatively speaking. Otherwise, just need to line up a trailer to rent and all set.

5 gallons is enough extra unless you are doing double sessions and then I'd guess 8 would be safer. That is true for tier 1 tracks like road America. I've gotten away with no extra fuel at Blackhawk before on my 636 in Orange group. Hope that helps.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am

Awesome! I'll stick with a single 5gal then. :beer:

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 am

:+1:

My R1 is super thirsty and will drain about 1gal per session at pace. I wouldn't expect your bike to be anywhere near that, so a single 5gal should do just fine. I should have some extra you could steal if you run out, since I'll be there. Absolute worst case, there is a pump at the track...it's Sunoco 93 or 100 and it's STUPID expensive, but it's there.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:26 am

First track day went great. Along with being incredibly slow, I felt like I was fighting the bike the whole first half of the day. Brought the bike in to Farrell Performance on site and they dialed in the suspension, which they said was way off. I think they said it was a little over 50mm of sag and he was dialing it in 30mm? Lots of nose dive on braking, bike always running wide, feeling loose in turns, and rear shaking a bit on exit. The last two sessions afterward felt like a totally different bike, but felt a lot more comfortable and could pick up the pace a little bit. :rockon:

Need to look at the schedule and make sure, but I think I'll be signing up for Road America in July. :thumbup:

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Believe me, you were far from the slowest one out there, so don't be too heavy on the "slow" part. :mrgreen:

You definitely looked far more comfortable those last couple sessions -- made some great progress through the day. Glad you had a fun time! :wheelie:

CCS/ASRA #380

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:21 am

Awesome, thanks for the help out there!

I suppose if I were to nitpick one thing about the event, it would be the passing. At least compare to what I'm use to on the car trackdays. The bikes zipping by at speed didn't bother me a bit, but I did find myself constantly modifying my line and purposely running wide because people were randomly passing on the inside of the turn. That part seems a bit strange to me. Always found myself thinking, if I had dove in to kiss the apex of that turn, we'd both be having a bad day right now. :dunno: :beer:

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks for the feedback. We unfortunately had some problems with that in our group Wednesday. Altering another rider's line is not OK, no matter which group you're riding in. They absolutely should not have been doing that, but obviously it was happening...whether it was willful or making a mistake (looked like the latter more than anything to me). That's why I talked specifically about the kink in our last classroom of the day, because it's an easy place to get in over your head and pinch someone off. Next time out, if that happens to you and you can get a bike/rider description, let a CR know and we can address it. Try as we might, we can't see everything out there. We're there to make sure that YOU have a safe and enjoyable day, and people not following passing rules is a quick way to ruin both parts of that equation.

Great job keeping your head on your shoulders all day! :thumbup: :beer:

CCS/ASRA #380

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Worked Road America on July 10th into the schedule. Registered over lunch today. Hope to see some of you guys there!