Track Intro

Track day events and discussion.
Apex_It
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R

Track Intro

Postby Apex_It » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:21 am

I've been wanting to get on the track this year, and it's quickly getting away from me. Curious about the best way to start doing track days. After looking at the MotoVid site, it seems that their Sport Riding 101 Class would really be something I'm looking for to start out. I have a great understanding of the basics like braking, corner entry, and racing lines from years of track experience with cars. However, I struggle with things specific to motorcycles such as downshifting, body position, etc.

So, what do you guys think would be the best way to start out? I saw that MotoVid has "All Levels" track days as well, so that could be an option if there is proper instruction at those events. I've only been riding for 3 years now. Started out on a 2013 CBR 500R to learn on for a couple years and picked up the Daytona last year.

naldge
Bike: 2001 Honda F4i

Re: Track Intro

Postby naldge » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:42 pm

The "All Levels" is good. You start in novice, and they explain a lot in that level. You regroup in the class after every session. The CR's (Control Riders) in all the levels are easy to talk to and very knowledgeable, and they also can help critique you on what you are doing good, and what you need to work on. I had a CR follow me,afterwards he gave me a couple of pointers that helped out tremendously. I think the Sport Riding 101 class is a bit more 1-on-1 from what I've heard. Either way, you can't go wrong.
visualize wealth, and put yourself in the picture

TLSR381
Bike: 2006 SV650 track (purple)

Postby TLSR381 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:26 am

:+1:

As a completely new rider to track, I appreciated doing the Sport Riding 101 first. It was 2-3 riders per instructor, so there was plenty of individual feedback...I had feedback after every single on track session. For me, the 101 class was a less intimidating environment. I might not have felt comfortable asking questions if I had just been in a regular Novice group. At the time I was definitely super shy and very uncomfortable.

I honestly would have been fine in an All Levels day in Novice, because they also make sure that you receive the basics that you need in order to be safe. They just don't go as in depth with some of the skills as they do in the class. If you do Novice, just make sure you reach out to a Control Rider (CR) for feedback, whereas in the Class that is automatic (you're assigned an instructor that stays with you usually all day).

That's my :twocents:
What the world needs now, is more purple and lime green.

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:41 pm

This is turning into an echo chamber, but... what they said. ^^^ :)

If you're interested in more intensive and in-depth instruction, the 101 clinic is going to be what you want. That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a regular all levels track day novice group to start out -- that's where I started. If you go for the regular all levels track day group and not the clinic, do be sure to reach out to a control rider for some assistance during the day. We're here for you, so be sure to make use of us. Some people at track days just want to circulate on their own and not be bothered, though, so unless you let a CR know that you'd like some help, we probably won't bother you unless we see something that we think looks unsafe.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:50 pm

Thanks everyone, I really think the Sport Riding 101 is where I'll start. I'm a big fan of close interaction with instructors.

Unfortunately, neither the July 27th or Sep 4th date will work for me. Have a lot on my plate this year besides, so maybe the track will have to wait until the first 101 class next year. Something to think about. :dunno:

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 pm

FWIW, if other dates work for you and you want to make it happen this year, MotoVid also has some 1 on 1 training options available.

CCS/ASRA #380

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:11 am

Looking at this again for 2017. Didn't get a chance to last year, so I want to pull the trigger on this before the schedule gets filled up with car events again.

From previous discussion, it seems like the Sport Riding 101 would be the best option rather than the All Track Days event. I'd need to tape up the lights, secure the kickstand, replace coolant, and safety wire the oil drain plug. Probably will rent a suit before investing in one, but I have boots, gloves, helmet ready to go. Anything else I should be aware of?

Are any of the members here instructors or control riders for this event? Looking at the Blackhawks Farms Raceway option for May 19th or July 21st.

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:00 am

We don't have our schedules yet, so unsure what groups we'd be working when, but yeah there are a few of us lurking around here who might be working those days. :)

For sport 101 or novice/yellow group with MotoVid, you don't need to wire your oil drain or replace your coolant. Neither is a bad idea, however.

CCS/ASRA #380

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:34 am

Looks like it's already conflicting with the few things I have scheduled. The first 1/2 Mile Airport event is weekend of May 20th. Might still make it. :banghead:

Any other events like this you guys recommend for Novice riders that will be running earlier than July?

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:08 am

Like has been said above, you could certainly do a regular novice/yellow group at an all levels track day and I'm certain you'd do just fine. There are classroom sessions ahead of all the morning riding sessions and the first one of the afternoon, so you're definitely not going to be left hanging. Several people around here started that way and are doing just fine.

Another alternative is a day at Dakota County Technical College in Minnesota, doing an Advanced Riding School day with ZARS. This is a bit more street-focused than performance-riding-focused, however. It's a smaller track also used for semi driver and law enforcement training, not as fast as a race track. My first time on track I went there (not a ZARS day then, but the same concept), and ShagzWife did a day there a few years ago as well. It's a more structured environment, and again it's a bit more street-focused than performance-riding focused, but it's certainly another good step between street and track if you're looking for something with more focused instruction. 2017 dates aren't posted yet, but you can find information here: http://www.ridezars.com/ars

CCS/ASRA #380