Phone mounting

Track day events and discussion.
Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Phone mounting

Postby Sportbiker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:57 am

I'm going to give Harry's LapTimer a try this year. Ideally I'd like to use one of the mounts that holds my phone via the steering stem. Thinking RAM mount. I've looked through the mauals for STT and Motovid and found nothing that addresses if those are an issue. So would I be safe assuming they're allowed?

I noticed in the STT manual that all GoPro's now need to be tethered to another part of the bike besides the adhesive mount, so assume I'd just do that with this kinda thing too.

Other thoughts?
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Re: Phone mounting

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:01 am

The stem mounts from RAM are just a well nut, so in a crash they could potentially be pulled out by the force of the crash or something else hitting them, just like cameras. I'd definitely put a tether on it of some kind, preferably something strong like safety wire. I don't think you'll have any issues getting through tech with it, especially if it's been secured down to the bike.

The next thing I'd consider in your case is general security of my phone. I use the x-grip phone mount on the street and it works just fine for the stresses and forces it gets there, but forces at a race track are a whole other ball game. What's your strategy with that?

And I guess...what's your end goal? Synced video/lap data?
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Re: Phone mounting

Postby Sportbiker » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:25 pm

The x thing was the route, probably with bungee or similar to secure it to the mount . not planning the video synch yet but is long term desire. For now it's about ease of access. Plan to mount the Garmin Glo to some other part for entire day too. Probably dash or somewhere horizon visible.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."