Yamaha FZ-09 Test Ride!

Street rides, bike nights, etc.
jeff
Bike: 2012 Yamaha FJR1300a

Yamaha FZ-09 Test Ride!

Postby jeff » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:44 pm

Went to get my FJR oil changed today and the guys at my dealer had just put together a "rapid red" FZ-09 and had it sitting on the floor ready to take out. The owner wanted to get out on it but had too many customers to deal with so he told me to give it a few miles to see what I think!

In short. Yes, I would love to have one! So lightweight, nimble and tons of power for its size. 850cc triple engine sounds sweet. I am trying to compare it to my test ride of the Triumph Speed Triple earlier this year. Speed Triple is a more comfortable and has a touch more wind protection (that little mini-screen they put on them actually does do something). The Speed and Street Triples are both more "refined" but I can't say they are enough to justify the price difference. Early reports I read about the FZ-09 suggested it has a "snatchy" throttle. I disagree. Its throttle was smoother and more responsive than what I'm used to with my FJR. I have also read that the suspension is a bit soft but I didn't do anything to test it today so I can't speak to that.

I only put a few miles on it because the complete lack of wind protection (too cold) and no earplugs made for an uncomfortable ride in no time. I would love to have one in addition to my FJR. I think it would be a ton of fun for $7999. To compare: Triumph Street Triple is $9399 and the R $9999, Speed Triple starts at $12799.

As I look ahead to the coming week I see we'll be back to days where the highs are only in the 20s and, again, my bike will be in the garage. I was thankful for the break and opportunity to get out for around 100 miles today as well as the unexpected test ride!

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:22 am

Awesome. Apparently I need to start going with you to dealers more, since you always get to test ride stuff... :lol: It really seems like Yamaha got it right with what you get for the price on this bike. I just wish they had an option for a half fairing like they did with the FZ6 or FZ1. If they did, I'd be all over it.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Andyman
Bike: 2015 Harley Street Glide

Postby Andyman » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 pm

I like the naked look. Chop the tail off some, open up the exhaust and it'd be almost perfect.

twistyrider

Re: Yamaha FZ-09 Test Ride!

Postby twistyrider » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:44 pm

20170818_195426.jpg
Kinda like this??

Fullthrottlemaniac
Bike: Ninja h2

Re: Yamaha FZ-09 Test Ride!

Postby Fullthrottlemaniac » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Is that your wife’s bike?