Newb mistake

Street rides, bike nights, etc.
Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Newb mistake

Postby Sportbiker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:34 pm

A couple of weeks ago I took my bike out and didn't get past the neighbor's house (an uphill turn) before the rear totally slid out from under me. For days I figured I twisted too much on cold tires. Then, less than a week later I was taking it out again and figured I'd check tire pressure. Never been low before but the bike had felt odd recently. There was 14# in the front tire :banghead:

Now the question. The spool AND the mount on the swingarm were ripped right off. Frankly I don't need the spool to protect the swingarm but I do need it to lift the bike. Anybody got suggestions for a simple repair? I was wondering about JB Weld.... Getting a swingarm is surprisingly cheap (used) but I'd rather not have to go through all that hassle if I don't have to.

Haven't ridden it since because its got Stabil in it now and usually I try to keep the tanks as full as possible over the winter. At some point I'll recheck the tire pressure. Quite concerned there's something in it, though my initial check showed nothing suspicious.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Funny, I seem to recall hearing a couple stories of these brackets breaking off on ZX-6Rs. Seems like Kawi may have skimped on their welds. No chunks of the swingarm came with it, right? Just the weld broke?

I'm not sure if I would trust JB Weld with that. :dunno: I would probably either get it re-welded or just put a new swingarm on. I'd guess if you were to take it to a welder they'd probably want to have the swingarm off the bike anyway, so your workload isn't too much different between the two.

I've seen some guys on spool-less bikes talking about building a little clamp that goes around the arm and has threading to accept a spool, too.

...and there's always the option of going to the MotoGP-style lifter on the end of the axle adjuster. It'd be kinda cool, but probably more money than you'd spend on a used swingarm.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Sportbiker

Re: Newb mistake

Postby Sportbiker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:49 pm

For as long as I've owned this, as many times as the bike has seen the ground, and as often as I spend on kawiforums you'd think I'd have known that. After a couple of quick searches, you're quite right. In fact, some people have had their swingarm spool bracket come off while on a stand! I assume it'd been weakened earlier. But that would've super-sucked since it would have gotten a car for sure.

So, I guess new swingarm looks like the only viable option. Or nothing, which I'm still considering. Have the Pitbull that does both because the wife's bike doesn't have the spools (or fittings). You're right in guessing I don't want to really put time or $ in for the GP setup.

Thanks for the thoughts. Just took the batteries out today so time to cancel the insurance.

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Speaking of noob mistakes...I managed to have a 0mph tip-over in the parking lot when I got to work this morning and hurt my wrist in the process. I think that's going to end my season. :(

CCS/ASRA #380

Sportbiker

Postby Sportbiker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm

What?! After all the hype from others' about your riding in freezing temperatures? I must call BS on those claims now.

Oh yeah, hope your limp-wristed hand gets well soon :banana-fingers:

shagzomatic

Postby shagzomatic » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 am

Sportbiker wrote:Oh yeah, hope your limp-wristed hand gets well soon :banana-fingers:

Obviously I don't spend nearly as much time on "wrist strengthening exercises" as you do...
Image :doublebird:

CCS/ASRA #380

Sportbiker

Postby Sportbiker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 pm

:naughty:

Now, now, we all know married men don't do that. Their wives are quite enough :poke:

Caz
Bike: 1987 honda spree (iowa edition)

Postby Caz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:08 am

This is a common thing happened to me at the track this summer i was pissed i knew i didn't have to replace the swing arm but thought i was def going to need a new stand. You can get stands that have flat pickups for your swing arm maybe even replacments for the stand you have or what i did as a quick fix since i need the bike up for warmers, pulled the hooks out of the stand reversed them and bike went right back into the air. Guy set up next to me showed me this trick. Ill try to get a pic up later of what I'm talking about at work atm just wanted to get this up saw this awhile back and forgot to post
"Carry the front wheel half a centimeter in the air all the way up the hill at 150mph put it down just over the rise, it's just a timing issue." Colin Edwards, "The Doctor, the tornado and the Kentucky Kid"

Caz
Bike: 1987 honda spree (iowa edition)

Postby Caz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 am

The pics of what I was talking about sorry so slow but I don't have a garage so my bikes arnt kept at my house and haven't been over to them in a week or so.
Attachments
2012-12-03 02.05.55.png
2012-12-03 02.05.55.png (174.16 KiB) Viewed 232 times
2012-12-03 02.05.37.png
2012-12-03 02.05.37.png (151.89 KiB) Viewed 232 times
"Carry the front wheel half a centimeter in the air all the way up the hill at 150mph put it down just over the rise, it's just a timing issue." Colin Edwards, "The Doctor, the tornado and the Kentucky Kid"

Sportbiker

Postby Sportbiker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm

No problem on the wait. I have the pitbulls that do both spooled and non-spooled because of the wife's bike, so I'm actually set. I would just prefer the spooled solution. Nifty idea there, though, hadn't thought of that before.