Lowest Profile Ear Buds

Street rides, bike nights, etc.
Apex_It
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R

Lowest Profile Ear Buds

Postby Apex_It » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 pm

Using a new helmet this season and it's too tight of a fit for the ear buds I've been using for several years. Looking for options.

These look promising, but I wonder if they will still be too large. I assume the smallest one will work great, if it fits in my ear properly. Anyone tried them?

https://www.plugfones.com/product/liberate2/?gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDapUltoCxolA6gmTWd8lORv-geWoNy9FtNJRjIZwFpTmEyMpFmj-YhoC67cQAvD_BwE

Option #2 would be something like this, if I can get it to fit.

https://www.ucleardigital.com/shop/helmet-audio/powersports/pulse-helmet-speakers/

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Re: Lowest Profile Ear Buds

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I know some guys who have gotten custom ear plugs done and had earbuds built into them, and really liked that...your first option seems like a step in that direction over regular buds.

I could never get earbuds to work for me in helmets, personally. My biggest issue was as I was putting it on, the helmet pulled the buds themselves out, or dragged against the cord and pulled the buds out that way. I ended up doing a SENA communication system in my helmet, which also connects to my phone via bluetooth and I could listen to music that way -- somewhat similar to your 2nd option. Fair warning though, I don't think the Bell Race Star has a ton of space in there for speakers like that. My Shoeis had pockets in them designed specifically for speakers.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:48 pm

Your issue is the same problem I'm having now with the new helmet. My old helmet wasn't a correct fit, likely adding to the issues I was having with it. With the new Bell Race Star, it pulls on the ear buds pretty hard putting it on, and then is quite painful when the helmet is in place IF I can get them to seat.

I looked at the helmet last night and came to a similar conclusion on the speakers. I sat there wondering if there was even enough space if it's already that tight. There is an opening for the ears...but yeah, no room for much else.

I think the Plugfones may work, but it's an expensive gamble to find out they don't! :think:

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

I have a double problem in that I have really narrow ear canals so buds don't want to stay in my ears too well even without trying to shove a helmet over the top of them. A tip a friend once gave me -- he'd take the cord and wrap it from below the earlobe, around the back of the ear, and off the top front -- basically looping it around the back of your ear before it dangled downward, so when the cord gets pulled it's not tugging on the bud itself. Never worked for me, but maybe it will for you.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:08 pm

I actually tried that last night, which is how I found out that if it stays in place...it hurts. Helmet is just too tight for ear buds, I think.

Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Postby Sportbiker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 pm

I use these Shure's and then put on a skull cap. Also helps with wicking the sweat away in the hot months.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."