Protective Gear

Street rides, bike nights, etc.
shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Re: Protective Gear

Postby shagzomatic » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm

I have not. The wife is looking at doing so, though -- she got in on this clearance deal and she's leaning toward the cheek pads being a little too snug as well. Revzilla stocks the pads last I looked and they have a pretty good return policy, so maybe check with them.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R

Postby Apex_It » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Sounds good. Was thinking of maybe stopping by if you already had them and swap them in to test. RevZilla is exactly who I was looking at, I usually order everything from them. Phenomenal customer service and support. :thumbup:

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Ordered the 25mm cheek pads after taking more measurements, and received them today. Did a test fit, and looks like it's a winner! I would say the helmet feels snug now, and not overly tight to the point where it feels like my eyeballs are going to pop out. Good to go!

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:55 pm

Took the Daytona out for the first ride of the year today. A bit cold and windy, but great to be back on the bike. Also the first chance I've had to use the new helmet, a Bell Race Star.

PROS: The first thing I noticed right away was the difference in the view. Compared to my old helmet I got "free" with my first bike 5 or 6 years ago, it was like watching an IMAX screen where it's so big you can't see the top or sides. With the helmet on, the view is wide enough that the sides and top of the helmet can't be seen. It's all clear visor, and fantastic. It has MUCH better peripheral vision and with it extending so far up, it's now much easier to see forward in a crouched position. It's also much more aerodynamic. Even with todays wind I was able to move my head all around at 70mph and it never grabbed the helmet and I didn't feel that push from the wind at all. No matter how I moved my head, it didn't seem like the wind grabbed hold of it. There is far less wind buffeting. The air really is flowing nicely around that helmet. Finally, wearing it around the house I really couldn't feel the weight difference. Once on the bike though, it was a bit more noticeable. I could snap my head left and right checking traffic and there was no extra momentum/weight moving my head around like the heavier old helmet.

CONS: It's not much quieter at all. Well, I'm sure it is...but I definitely can't tell the difference. It's a lot tighter fit. It's not really uncomfortable by any means, but it's certainly not loose like my ill-fitting old helmet. It's tight enough that I can't fit ear buds in it any more and putting on sunglasses takes some effort. I'm really hoping the cheek pads wear in a bit and it loosens just a little. Also, the chin strap uses a small magnet to keep the end from dangling around and loosening up as you ride. It seems like a great system, but I had a hell of a time trying to get it attached. I must have stood there for 5min, taking the helmet off a couple times seeing what the issue was. The old helmet had a metal snap that was very easy to find. I have no doubt that this will be simple after using it for a while though.

Overall it seems like a great buy, especially for the closeout price. I do hope I can find some earbuds that will fit in there, since I prefer riding solo with music. Once that's figured out, I don't think I'll have any real complaints with the helmet once it loosens up over time.

Next purchase is going to be actual riding pants, instead of wearing regular jeans. Trying to decide between the Bull-It SR6 and Klim K Fifty 2.

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:29 am

The cheek pads do break in some, mine were much more forgiving after they'd been worn a few times. The magnet takes a little getting used to, it's just situated a little lower on than you're accustomed to on other helmets -- I had problems with that for a little bit too.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta