Thinking about selling

If it's on two wheels, it goes here.
Apex_It
Bike: 2015 Triumph Daytona 675R

Thinking about selling

Postby Apex_It » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:52 pm

Thinking about selling my bike...and not picking up another one. Talk me out of it!

I barely ride it any more, since there is nowhere to really go or anyone to ride with. Not terribly amped up about doing additional track days because of liability both personally and financially. The bike has been paid off for a long time, but there is always the risk of hospital time or wrecking the bike. I know I'll likely regret selling it, but it just sits there. Selling it could also help fund a truck and trailer to tow cars. :dunno:

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Re: Thinking about selling

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:39 am

Telling you not to sell it when I'm looking at doing the same to my street bike might come off a bit hypocritical, I think... :lol:

I'd hate to see you ditch bikes entirely, however. You were having a huge pile of fun out at the track and making tons of great progress last year. If you're worried about wrecking the bike, you could probably pick up a decent track bike and a trailer both from the sale of the one you've got. Besides, bikes are less expensive to ride, repair, and maintain than cars are. ;)

Risk of injury or hospital time...meh. You can get seriously injured in a car as well. Or crossing the street, for that matter.

Much as I hate seeing people getting out of the sport, though, do what makes the most sense for your personal situation. :thumbup:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:07 pm

The issue with the hospital time that I saw is what may actually be covered by my health insurance. It's no big deal if you hurt yourself walking across the street, but if you get nailed hard on the track and get a flight out of there (for example)...your insurance likely won't cover it from what I've been reading on various forums. Lots of people have gigantic medical bills after a bad spill, not to mention the loss or repair of the bike as well. It's not the injury, it's the financial cost of it and everything involved if insurance doesn't cover it.

Could get a track bike, but it would just sit there and only get used 2-3x per year for HPDE's. I won't get into racing, and I definitely won't be moving away from the cars.

It's a lot to think about. :dunno:

shagzomatic
Bike: 2005 FZ6, 2006 SV650, 2007 R1

Postby shagzomatic » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Devil's advocate....the same applies to your track car, though, and while you certainly do have a cage around you for that, you can still take a heap of personal damage in an incident there. In which case you're already in virtually the same situation from a medical coverage perspective as what you're supposedly trying to avoid.

FWIW I personally know two people who have taken helicopter rides that were covered. One was racing, the other was at a track day. It DOES depend on your policy, however, so be sure to read that carefully (and my wife used to do insurance billing for Genesis so if you need help, ask her :)). The nice thing about track days is that they're closed course educational days, not competition, so medical policies will typically cover most things without issue. Most coverage problems stem from competition clauses you sometimes find in there (i.e. not covered if injury is sustained during a competitive event). I've also read a bit about supplemental policies some people pick up specifically to cover helicopter rides. Don't know any details other than the fact that they exist, and supposedly they're not outrageously expensive. :dunno:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything.

CCS/ASRA #380
Pirate Dog Motosport: www | fb | insta

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:13 pm

OK, thanks. I'll look into it a bit more. It's a big decision and I'm certainly in no hurry to do anything right away. I'll be thinking it over during the winter and keep/sell in the spring. The bike is still worth $8,500-$9,000 right now, so it's a good chunk of dough. I'll take a good look at my medical coverage and see what's actually approved/covered.

To be perfectly honest,the last track day was a mess for me...which is why the above things came into question. Sure, I felt like I gained progress and it was FUN. However, it seemed like there was more of a push than necessary to ride harder/faster than I was ready for. Hell, it was only my 2nd track day. But, I do things at my own pace regardless of people pushing. The risk factor seemed pretty high, and both the other guys in my group went down (3 students, 1 instructor). No mirrors, no brake lights, people passing whenever they pleased. It's a different world than I am use to and comfortable with. As much as I enjoy it, the risk seems pretty high. But hey, it is what it is. Just have to decide if it's for me. :thumbup:

Boohnda
Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-636R

Postby Boohnda » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:51 am

I know you were going to be thinking over the winter but have any other thoughts in the past two months?

I ended up deciding this week that I will be selling my ride as soon as I can. Priorities change to where I want to get my dream car and will be selling the bike to get it.
2004 VW R32 if curious about the dream car.
Yoshi exhaust, color matched powder coated pegs, frame sliders, HIDs

Apex_It

Postby Apex_It » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Will likely keep it. I wanted a Daytona for a very long time and know there will be some regrets if I sold it. It just came from the fact that it doesn't get ridden as much as I'd like and don't know many folks around here to ride with. It's not really a financial issue, as the bike has been paid off for a long time. It just sits, and I'm involved in tracking cars so splitting the time can be tough. Kicking around the idea of doing some more track days, but I need to educate myself a bit more on safety and insurance measures.

The R32 is a great car! Have fun with it. :thumbup:

Boohnda
Bike: 2006 Ninja ZX-636R

Postby Boohnda » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:06 pm

Yeah I feel ya. I'm kind of the same boat. Not riding it as I don't know many people that street ride and if I do it's like Harley's and shit.

But yeah the dream car thing is coming a reality so I'm gonna see where it takes me lol
Yoshi exhaust, color matched powder coated pegs, frame sliders, HIDs

Sportbiker
Bike: '05 636, Titanium

Postby Sportbiker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:39 pm

The R32... is that the one that's on the Golf platform? If it weren't for VAG trying to kill its own customers in that diesel fiasco, we'd very seriously considered their hot hatch options. If you get it, I'd be particularly interested in any electrical problems.

On the riding thing, yeah. I don't do a lot of free-time street riding mainly b/c I don't have a lot of free time. This next summer might be more sparse for track days for me too, assuming I can get enough scratch to take a couple of proper riding schools. That said, if shagz sets up a weekend jaunt I will make a serious effort to go.
Shitty planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Sportbiker's tips on what not to do when you want to sell something:
    Post an artistic picture where your bike takes up 5% of the area.
    "Price firm but willing to negotiate."

Return to “General Bike Discussion”